- Type of employment: Full time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Live: 2 years
- Location: Lagos / Working Virtually
- Working area: Media / Advertising / Branding
- Naija News is looking for a Reporter with strong editorial/journalistic experience who will research, monitor, fact check and write stories. with the Naija News audience in mind.
- You’ll have a knack for breaking down complex topics to make them interesting, relevant, and easy to understand.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collect, verify, verify and thoroughly analyze newsworthy information
- Create and distribute reports (article, video and/or social media posts) taking into account the public’s point of view
- Proofread your work to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar, and more.
- Work on assignments and investigate topical leads/tips
- Sources of contact, interview and research
- Maintain notes and audio/video recordings
- Collaborate with other journalists, video editors, social media managers, producers, etc.
- Stay up to date with the latest current events by properly monitoring the news, attending events, and making contacts and sources to use in future stories
- Attend press conferences, events and file reports in a timely manner
- Develop and publish weekly reviews, opinion pieces and reports
- Edit and/or assist in editing and proofreading assigned stories
- Ensure accuracy and consistency with the Naija News brand voice and adherence to the Naija News content framework
- Ensure published stories fully comply with copyright laws and are not plagiarized
- Actively contribute to the success of the content team by developing story ideas, researching exclusive stories and making other innovative suggestions
- Identify, suggest and actively implement strategies to increase readership and reach of Naija News
- Stay on top of trends and the competitive landscape to ensure Naija News as a media brand is always ahead of the curve
- Adhere to the Fundamental Principles of Journalism, the Code of Ethics for Nigerian Journalists, and Global Journalistic Ethics and Standards.
Desired skills and experience
- Interested candidates should have relevant qualifications and work experience.
- Experience covering/writing news, current affairs and politics for a digital publication
- Excellent networking skills to find news stories and get interviews
- Passion for producing exclusive stories with in-depth analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good knowledge of Google Workspace – docs, sheets, reader, slides, etc.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Lots of energy, passion and enthusiasm.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter, resume and at least 5 samples of your work to [email protected]
All candidates must have access to a computer and the Internet and be able to work remotely.
Only qualified candidates will be shortlisted and invited for an interview.