News Producer | Media professions
Why the discovery
Discovery takes care of its employees as soon as you join us, and it’s that time of year that we’re all excited as we look forward to finishing early on Fridays during the school holidays!
We offer outstanding benefits as follows to our staff and have a great culture.
- Enhanced pension with employer contribution up to 9%
- Private healthcare (including £600 reimbursement for optical and dental care)
- 4 x salary life insurance
- Tuition fully paid based on professional qualifications
- On-site subsidized massage
- Social committees that organize afterworks for us
- Flexible working (so the role is not 100% desktop based)
- Summer hours when you can leave early on Fridays
- Free on-site gym
- 28 days off
- GAYE/Cycling to work/Interest-free subscription loan
- Home roles where we can
- 100% maternity/paternity benefit for the first 24 weeks (depending on who takes it)
This role pays up to £48,000 based on experience and a potential annual bonus of $5,000 based on company performance.
Due to the nature of this role, this is an early departure at 6.30 am during school term and normal office hours during school holidays. The role is 40 hours per week.
The role in brief
Reporting to the Head of Global Production, the News Producer is a crucial member of the Discovery Education Global team. You will be the producer of our information services for our core products and services. The news is broadcast weekly to all of our UK primary schools during school terms.
You will play a key role in ensuring the quality and integrity of our content. You will be responsible for the daily editorial excellence and accuracy of our news. Additionally, you will work with ITN and be asked to review video scripts and edits at the approval stage.
***Closing date is April 26, 2022**
We want to get to know you and for you to know more about us, but we won’t ask you to skip multiple interviews with multiple people for weeks. We make our recruitment decisions quickly. We may ask you to complete some short tasks.
You will then work with the HR manager at the start, a shortlist will be established to meet the hiring manager on zoom and in person in the final stages, and that’s it. We expect to see examples of your work and can suggest a short assignment for you to do.
The incumbent will have editorial responsibility for daily and weekly news services and the production of thematic and curricular content videos.
You will have a rich, up-to-date contact book and fully master the technologies and disciplines of self-shooting and editing. You’ll be hands-on and able to switch seamlessly between a quick shoot, working alongside an editor on creating a new video, and giving advice on scripting a set of videos designed to explain multiplication to seven-year-olds – maybe all on the same day. You’ll need to be an excellent script writer and editor and used to managing competing priorities and deadlines.
A key aspect of this role will be to liaise with other departments within the business and with education stakeholders beyond: you will need to work closely with production, technical development, partnerships and marketing, and will need to be a good communicator to ensure senior management and the wider business are kept informed of developments in information services and the value they add.
You will also be expected to play an active role in promoting the company’s mission and services and keep yourself informed of any external developments that may present market opportunities or impact company strategy through the through school visits and school presentations. You can represent the company at industry events.
- Actively oversee and lead the production and development of information resources for discovery education in Europe, including Discovery Education Espresso.
- Be the main signing point for all aspects of news production at Discovery Education UK, including filming and dubbing scripts and fine editing.
- Reporting to the production manager.
- Work with our UK producer on the video element of program content and encourage the development of innovative, high quality broadcast standard video.
- Produce in-person promotional material and oversee the external production of other videos required for projects funded by external clients.
- Support other sectors of the company outside of production in their video needs: coding, professional development, marketing.
- Upload videos, images, audio files and text to our content management system
Essential skills and experience required (we regret that we cannot process CVs that do not highlight this information, so if you have different CVs, please submit the correct one)
- A minimum 5 years of experience working in busy news video environments
- Writing and editing reports for young audiences
- A proven track record in digital delivery
- Writing and producing digital video works for a target audience of children or young people.
- Experience in producing formal educational content
- An understanding of the UK schools digital video market
- Proven expertise in adapting/reverting products from other countries to the needs of the UK market
- Experience curating news and current events for online platforms.
- Experience with content and rights management systems
Discovery Communications is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a great place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. We strive to recruit and retain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities we serve. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or genetic information.