Do you have a passion for producing? We are looking for a motivated and creative journalist who can connect with our viewers in a meaningful way. The requirements go far beyond stacking up an outline and writing news. We want someone who can create an experience for our audience.
News producers must be able to make quick and sound editorial decisions, including:
- Deciding which stories are of most interest to our Local 5 news consumers.
- Prioritize stories and story development efforts.
- Determine the order in which the stories will be told in the shows.
- Write compelling broadcast content focused on our audience.
- Be able to quickly adjust stories in newscasts to reflect breaking news.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues, anchors, managers as well as field reporters.
- Write informative and in-depth articles on the web platform, including links and additional information that viewers will find useful.
- Write compelling teasers to bring viewers to our shows.
- Time broadcasts and make sure they are clean and correct on the air.
- Edits video for broadcast as well as online use.
Required Skills :
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or a related field with an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Fluency in English with strong spelling and grammar.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) with colleagues and the public.
- Proficiency with computers, tablets and mobile digital devices.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Flexibility to work any shift, with some shift and schedule change notice.
Physical requirements and work environment:
The news producer must be able to stand, sit, conduct telephone conversations, use e-mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the bottom line of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors in all weather conditions and work outdoors indoors under controlled environmental conditions. Also, must be able to lift, set up and use equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to manipulate, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are necessary. Work may be performed in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
Apply online at https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/nexstar/details/News-Producer_REQ-19247
WFRV and Nexstar Media Inc. are an equal opportunity employer.