The Architects’ Journal is the leading professional publication for the UK architectural community, uncovering the industry’s most important stories for over 120 years.
Our award-winning campaign title is leading industry change through its boundary-pushing print and digital platforms.
We now have an opportunity for a driven, story-hungry, web-savvy individual journalist to join our news team. We can offer a competitive salary and the opportunity to make a real difference – covering one of the UK’s most inspiring and creative professions.
The AJ sets the architecture agenda: by looking at new ways of practicing; examine how architects can help tackle the climate crisis; seek proprietary information and political opinions; find competitions and bidding opportunities; publish detailed technical information; and printing extensive building studies.
The ideal candidate will be an ambitious journalist with experience as a reporter. Ideally, you have knowledge in the architecture or housing sectors. What is essential, however, is that you are a proven story-maker with a record of getting nationally-worthy scoops.
The role will also include writing news stories – such as analytical pieces, profiles and interviews – for print and online media.
The role involves being a team player and covering a wide range of topics in depth – from procurement scandals, to business, climate change and political news, to finding out who is designing the next tallest skyscraper. country sky.
Working closely with the Editor and Senior Reporter, the full-time role will require a willingness to attend and report on events and a desire to quickly understand what architects need to do their job better and how they earn work.
The position will be based at EMAP’s offices in London’s vibrant Shoreditch/Old Street area.
Experience in architecture and the built environment is not essential, although an interest in the subject is.
- A motivated, proactive, experienced and information-hungry NCTJ Qualified Reporter [or have equivalent experience]
- The desire to uncover the biggest stories and set the news agenda
- A maniac of precision and the ability to write concise and precise reports under tight deadlines
- A solid understanding of media law
- A personable and confident person eager to get out of the office and make good high-level contacts at industry events and parties
- Willingness to learn, be flexible and work on different platforms
- Ability to gather news and promote stories on social media
- Team player and good communicator, passionate about original journalism and campaigns that make a difference
- An interest in architecture and the built environment and its social, political and economic drivers
Deadline: 2 p.m., Monday August 22, 2022
If you are interested in learning more, please send your CV and three examples of your best work to firstname.lastname@example.org